Getting ready for Three-Year-Old Kindergarten

From next year, universal funded Three-Year-Old Kindergarten will be available across the whole state, having already been successfully implemented in 21 regional local government areas.


This means that in 2022 early learning services across the rest of Victoria will be funded to deliver five hours of Three-Year-Old Kindergarten each week.


The Victorian Government is investing almost $5 billion in this reform to support children’s learning, development and wellbeing. The Department of Education and Training (DET) thanks Victorian kindergarten services for their efforts in making two years of funded kindergarten a reality for children across the state.


To help early learning services implement Three-Year-Old Kindergarten, DET has now released guidance of policy and funding requirements for delivering Three-Year-Old Kindergarten in 2022. If you are a Victorian Approved Provider and have yet to receive this information, please email:


Resources are also available for services to help in the planning phase of Three-Year-Old Kindergarten program, including:


  • communication tips, fact sheets and digital assets for providers and services to share with their communities about Three-Year-Old Kindergarten.

  • workforce initiatives, including information relating to scholarships and financial supports for educators and teachers.

  • resources to support services to attract high-quality staff and promote their service, including professional development opportunities, flexible hours and placement opportunities to final-year university students.

  • resources designed to support recruitment and promote careers in early childhood.

  • infrastructure initiatives and grants that are available to create Three-Year-Old Kindergarten places.


To access these resources and for further information about Three-Year-Old Kindergarten, visit the Three-Year-Old Kindergarten webpage for services.


For advice and support in preparing for and delivering Three-Year-Old Kindergarten, services can contact their local DET branch